Thought I’d mix things up a bit this week with a recipe! Besides art, I love baking. I’m not a very adventurous baker though, preferring to stick to sponge cakes and simple biscuits rather than fancy ‘bake-off-esque’ treats.
The other day I was walking through town and I caught a whiff of something which reminded me of the taste of Jammie Dodgers, and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get them out of my head! Returning home to a Jammie Dodgerless house, I decided the only way to satisfy my biscuit craving was to make some myself.
I cobbled together this recipe by stealing bits from others, but it worked very well and the resulting 22 biscuits were demolished within a few days – always a sign of a good bake!
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Clare’s Jammie Dodger Recipe
You will need…
FOR THE BISCUITS
250g butter or margarine (quite soft)
140g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2tsp vanilla extract
400(ish)g plain flour
FOR THE FILLING
280g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
- Mix the butter and caster sugar in a big bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence, stir well to combine.
- Sift over the flour (I find 400g is about right, but add it slowly and stop when the mixture combines to form a dough which doesn’t stick to the bowl)
- Roll out the dough and cut approx 22, 2.5″ diameter circles with a cutter. Cut a small circle out of the middle of half of them (for the tops).
- Bake for about 15 mins, or until golden on top.
- Mix icing sugar, butter and milk in a bowl until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread butter icing on the base biscuits. Top with jam and sandwich together. Yum!
This week I’m going to attempt to make Mary Berry’s carrot cake to take up to my brother-in-law’s weekend birthday celebrations. We’re all staying in a cottage near Bath, so I’m sure some cake will go down well!
PS. ‘The Wise Old Man’ has used my Jammie Dodger photo in the background of one of his videos – Failure – about failing to keep to his diet after being tempted by the biscuit jar!